This Vegan Rice Mac & Cheeze with roasted root veggies and mushroom bacon is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser and one of my personal favourites.
Step 1: Roast the Veggies
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Place the squash, carrots, potatoes and parsnip on the tray, add a pinch of salt and drizzle a tsp of olive oil on top.
- Roast for 45 minutes then set aside.
Step 2: Make the Mushroom Bacon
- In a bowl mix the mushrooms, 1-2 tsp of olive oil, ½ tsp of salt, and 1 tsp of liquid smoke or ¼ tsp smoked paprika.
- Once the mushrooms are coated evenly, place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and bake at 200°C for 25 minutes.
- Check for crispness and bake for another 5-10 minutes if necessary.
Step 3: Prepare the Vegan Rice Mac & Cheeze
- Cook the Vegan Rice Mac & Cheeze by following the package instructions.
- Mix it in a deep dish with the roasted veggies.
- Serve in bowls, top with the mushroom bacon and enjoy!
Make sure the mushrooms are well coated to ensure crispness!